2019 Plans for Wallarano
This year is already well planned and ready to go. The main strategic focus for the school will continue to be STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics]; Literacy and Student Agency.
This year is looking like it is going to be a very exciting one with many things happening at our school. There will be many physical improvements made to our buildings but I think the curriculum planning is the most exciting. Teachers have been planning STEM inquiry units for all children to engage with next year.
Inquiry based learning is an umbrella term that incorporates many current learning approaches (including project based learning, design thinking) and may take various forms, depending on the topic, resources, ages and abilities of students and other variables. However, the following are characteristics that serve as hallmarks of inquiry based learning:
• Equal emphasis on process (communicating, reflecting, collaborating, analysing, etc.) and content.
• Genuine curiosity, wonderment and questioning (by teachers and students) are central
• Student ‘voice’ is evident – elements of the curriculum / learning is negotiated and student questions are taken seriously and addressed
• Prior knowledge is ascertained and built upon. Formative assessment and subsequent planning is essential
• Significant concepts and essential questions are identified which unify knowledge and understandings
• Students are actively involved in constructing understandings through hands-on experiences, research, processing and communicating their understandings in various ways
• Learning takes place in a social context – students learn from each other, together with others, and from those outside of the classroom context
• Reflection, metacognition and depth of thought are valued and planned for
© Wallarano Primary School